Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ben's First Day of Kindergarten

I emailed a friend today about "my day" and thought I would also post it here on my blog. I LOVE MY BEN! It has become a tradition in my sister Holly's family, that I photograph each of her children on their first day of kindergarten (and about 10,000 other events, annually.) I have one niece and two nephews that turned five this year......which means KINDERGARTEN time (except for "girl genius" that started first grade today after a year of private pre-school.) Anyway, back to Ben....I LOVE THIS BOY so much! When he was born, my brother in law turned to me and said, "Amy, you've earned this one....why don't you cut the umbilical cord". Wow....lucky me! I had the honor of cutting what had been his lifeline for past nine months. I stared at that precious, perfect baby in amazement as his breaths became his own! Today, more than five years later (which by the way seem more like five days ago than five years ago) I got a little teary as we dropped him off at school. He was so confident as we left the house and walked to school together! The closer we got to school, the faster his heart started beating and the more nervous he became. He wasn't quite sure this was what he signed up for! As he walked in his class, I blew him a kiss and he blew one back and the tears (my tears) started rolling! So many mixed feelings! Interestingly enough......Ben and I probably shared a lot of the same feelings at that moment.....excitement, fear, anticipation, insecurity, pride....what a morning! I spoke with him right after I left work tonight and he said, "Hey Aim, It was great! I like school!" Today was a good day! ------Amy

1 ___Post a Comment Here! (I love comments!!!):

Jason, Tiff and the Kids said...

That is just beautiful! Never cried when they went off to kindergarten, actually rejoiced! Now I am crying raising teenagers...